Then a certain deva went at night, their pleasant colour illuminated the Grove around them, approaching because of the Fortunate Ones presence, kneeling to one side and bowing down, she stood to one side of the Fortunate One and spoke in verse:
1. ‘Many Devas and humans have thought about blessings wishing for well-being – speak then of the superior blessings?’
2. ‘Shunning the fool and keeping company with the wise, and paying homage to those worthy of veneration. This is a superior blessing.
3. ‘Inhabiting suitable places and with ones former rewarding actions, and aspiring to be upright. This is a superior blessing.
4. ‘Being fully versed in ones craft, and disciplined in training oneself therein, with beneficial speech. This is a superior blessing.
5. ‘To care for ones parents, family and community, and not entangled in business. This is a superior blessing.
6. 'Generous, and conducting oneself in-line with the Dhamma towards ones relatives and community, while acting in blameless ways. This is a superior blessing.
7. ‘Restrained in regard to unskilled acts, and abstaining from mind altering intoxicants, being heedful in regard to mental phenomena. This is a superior blessing.
8. ‘being respectful, humble, content and of an appreciative manner, so able to hear the truth at the appropriate time. This is a superior blessing.
9.‘Having forbearance and obedience, and seeing seekers of truth whom have insight, so able to discuss regarding the truth at the appropriate time. This is a superior blessing.
10. ‘The chaste behaviour lived with morality, so one is able to see the noble truths, for the realisation of Nibbāna. This is a superior blessing.
11. ‘when dealing with worldly activities, ones mind remains unmoved, free from sorrow, & defilements, so safe. This is a superior blessing.
12.‘life lived in this manner, one will be undefeated everywhere, as everywhere they goes they have well-being.These are the superior blessings.’